Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Golden Stratton flower - my first compact


It probably shouldn't be surprising that the first compact I ever called mine was a Stratton. Being the British manufacture of compacts through their popularity Stratton's are the easiest compacts to come across and really do offer a great introduction [especially for their price] to potential collector. While this compact certainly isn't in the best of conditions - the top alone could tell you hundreds of tales of being used and knocked around and the missing pan in the powder well possibly even more. Yet the fact it was the first compact I ever came across allows me to see past it's signs of wear. In fact its the first compact I did some restoring with in finding a replacement powder well. This compact was my grans, I found it in her old make up bag, it grabbed my attention and got me interested in what powder compacts were, their history and their place today. 

Without this compact there would be no powder compact collection. Last Friday marked the third anniversary of my gran's passing. Maybe she led me to finding it. Either way something came out of her passing - a compact collection that I hope she's proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...