Sunday, July 15, 2012

Pink and Gold Rex Oversized Compact


I love my oversized compacts although I often wonder how they fitted into a 1950s lady's handbag when they weren't all that big themselves. But whatever the size I'm sure they were "lost" in the handbag as much as I loose things in mine. This 1950s/60s pink compact with gold flower and leaf design was the second vintage compact from the eBay lot which came with the Stratton butterfly. Made by Rex [one of the 5th Avenue companies] I was lucky enough to grab this compact with it's original puff and sift. Rex sadly were one of the compact manufactures who frequently didn't mark their designs at least rarely on the actual body of the compact - therefore naming this one came down to having the puff complete and in fairly good condition with "Rex" marked across a ribbon. Although this compact had been used in it's lifetime [I always clean them out] it's stood up fairly well to it's use. One website I came across suggested the gold design was worth $125 - a little ambitious I must state. 

2 comments:

  1. That's beautiful. I've never heard of Rex before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were quite a name in their time although I can't say I came across any while in the UK. Their name did change after merging with one of their rival 5th Avenue compact manufacturers to become Dorset-Rex in the 1950s.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...